Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Scrumdiddily-umptious Cornbread




In following the down home theme we've had going on lately around our place, I made this cornbread as an accompaniment to chili, but since this soft, moist tasty delight is so good, I'm looking for other ways I can get more of it back to our table. I mean, corn bread tastes good with anything, right?



You can sop with it.
You can smother it in honey.
You can smother it in jam.
You can slap some ham, or eggs, or cheese, or all three on it.
You can serve it with chicken.
You can serve it with beef.
Everyone knows you can serve it with pork.

Basically, you can make cornbread anytime you want it. And all this chatter about cornbread makes me think it will show up on my table again soon.


Sweet Cornbread

recipe from Sabrina A.


Ingredients:

1/2 C melted butter
2/3 C sugar (you can reduce this to 1/2 C if all that sugar makes you squeamish)
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk (or 1 C milk plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar, let it sit for 5 minutes before using)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C cornmeal
1 C flour


Method:
Preheat oven for 375 degrees F. Mix all ingredients together until moistened. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour into a 9x9 glass dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.





{can you see how moist this is?! I'm salivating}

No comments:

Post a Comment