Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Simplest Sketti Sauce

Lately I've been into simple comfort foods for dinner. My appetite runs the gamut of homemade mac and cheese to Caesar salad, and I'm not sure why, other than the fact that comfort foods are really tasty and usually a cinch to make. This no-fuss tomato sauce is both really tasty and really easy to make, making it something that I am capable of cooking these days.

The original recipe idea is from smittenkitchen, but comfort-food obsession or not, I have an issue with buttering vegetables or even just mixing butter with vegetables. Frankly I don't like to do it. Jeff however, loves butter, so I compromised and made a reduced-fat version that was still simply delicious.







Ingredients:
1 large (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes (I used unsalted)
2-3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium sweet onion, peeled and cut in half
salt to taste

Method:
In a large saucepan, melt the butter, pour in the tomatoes and place the onion halves right in with the tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low so sauce sits at a low simmer for around 45 minutes. Occasionally stir and crush tomatoes up against the side of the saucepan. When done, remove onions and salt to taste. Serve with noodles...and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment